Sunday, September 21, 2008

What weekends could be


This weekend was a good one.
It reminds me of what weekends can be. It reminds me of weekends from my first go-round at college in Denton.
M and I, along with two friends, went to tiny Winnsboro, Texas, a town with two main streets, and not many more traffic lights. There, we were able to enjoy wine at a small winery, have a delicious dinner at an Italian restaurant with a wood oven, and go to a small coffeehouse and see Ramblin' Jack Elliott himself. And we could have gone to another place in town to see more music after Ramblin' Jack's final set.
This is exactly what I want to see happen for Teenytown. And the only obstacle that I can see is money--ain't it always the case? Well, money and taste.
A good restaurant and a performance/exhibition space could make a huge difference. And I have to point out that our delicious dinner cost about half of what it would have cost at the mediocre Italian restaurant that's here in Teenytown, so the restaurant is not expensive at all. And it was beautifully appointed.
What I don't want: no more auto parts stores, no more dollar discount stores, no more metal buildings, no more antique malls, no more storage facilities.
What I want: life on the weekend that doesn't center on football, a good meal, a good glass of wine, a comfortable place to sit and talk.
Is that so much?

No comments: