Friday, November 14, 2008

What, then, must we do?




I don't know what to do with the rage.


We have to provide a $700 billion dollar bailout for all kinds of financial snafus that I can only just barely begin to comprehend.



There's no real plan for what this bailout is going to involve.



CEO's of the worst institutions are still doing just fine, no real problems for them.



Our investments are--well, I can't even bring myself to look.



I don't know that this country has the intellectual capital to come up with an effective plan for somehow getting our economy to be of a more rational composition.



I'm thinking of Billy Kwan (played by Linda Hunt in the picture on the right) in The Year of Living Dangerously. He is in despair because he sees his country and everything he believes in chaos, run by selfish people. He types over and over, "What, then, must we do?"--a line from Tolstoy I think. Then he performs an ultimately fruitless act of protest and is killed.



OK, I'm not at that point. But I'm still left full of rage at people I don't know and will never have anything to do with but who have profitted greatly and reprehensibly from others' suffering.



I wish I could figure out a meaningful and nonviolent way to express this rage.

No comments: