Monday, December 15, 2008

Blogging and the cycle of teaching


I turned in grades today. That means I finished the comments on what felt like a zillion papers and graded exams and figured out grades. It's pretty much always like this, and it's not like I'm unique or anything.

And so I've neglected this blog.

Apparently, I need a lot more uncommitted time to get myself motivated to blog. I feel a certain pressure to be clever even though I can't say I achieve it particularly often, and being clever requires some leisure.

David Hume said that to be a man [sic] of taste, one has to have the breeding, the education, the temperament or sensitivity, and the time--all the marks of an English gentleman. I think this describes something of what it takes to be a blogger of any note--without the breeding part--that's just icky. And education can be defined very broadly.

Andrew Sullivan's blog (he's my favorite gay conservative) turned me on to another blog called Daily Routines that offers glimpses of famous writers' daily schedules that allows them to be productive. All I can say is that I'm not likely to join their ranks any time soon. I am a very lazy person who would much rather read others' blogs than work on my own.

The holiday break has officially begun today (although I'll be going to meetings this week--feh!). I'm thinking about this blog and what purpose it serves for me. Maybe I just like the idea of blogging more than I like the actual production. No, that's not right. I really having blogged, looking back on what I've written. Is that enough to keep me doing this?

No comments: